Is your router infected by VPNFilter Malware?
It is estimated that about 500,000 routers are infected by malware linked to the Fancy Bear hacking group. This malware, VPNFilter, has the ability to spy on web traffic, collect personal information, disable devices, or hijack them to use for other malicious purposes.
Devices that are known to be affected by VPNFilter include Linksys, MikroTIk, NETGEAR, and TP-Link small office/home routers and QNAP brand NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices. Here is a full list of models impacted. However, because this malware infects your edge devices (the ones that connect directly to the internet) we still recommend taking additional steps to be secure if you own one of the devices mentioned above.
What should I do to keep secure?
- Reboot your router immediately
- If VPNFilter is still present after step 1, perform a hard reset of the device
- Ensure that your router device is updated to the latest firmware
- Change router and QNAP storage device admin passwords to a secure password
- Turn off remote-management settings
For more information, please contact MMA today!